Sunday, 4 May 2014

Why I can't do a serious job

In my experience of working, I've noticed two distinct types of job. The one where you have to be serious and the one where you can be yourself.

Owing to the inescapable fact that I'm apparently one of those 'kooky people', I am inclined towards the latter job type. Motherhood is a great example of this, as you child demands you, you do it best when you are yourself. 

My favourite, most beautiful, unserious employer

Sadly mothering doesn't pay the rent, and serious jobs do, albeit requiring you to be a better, more efficient, compliant, driven, customer focused person than you really are.

But part of me really does want the thrill of climbing a ladder, the security of a pension and an easier time when filling out forms (credit card applications, etc). I sometimes catch this part of me applying for serious jobs. I even ended up with one.

The architects firm where I currently work is a prime example of a job where I (and the others who work there) must pretend to be professional at all times and appear to be genuinely concerned about the welfare of the company and clients, at the expense of my own health and sanity. The part of me that wants a serious job such as this was recently overturned by the bigger part of me, who came to the logical conclusion of 'screw this'. And so I decided to leave.

I also decided, sick from all the unrealistic person specs I've been reading, to write a job specification. If a job wants me, this is the criteria it must adhere to:

- I can stay home and look after Boo if she's ill without feeling guilty
- I can take a lunch break without feeling guilty
- Not stressful
- Not commuting into central London
- Maximum 4 days per week
- Overtime is paid
- Worth doing (ie not pointless/destructive to the planet)
- Co-workers & directors are nice, down to earth people
- Casual dress code

It is completely ridiculous that to get by in life and not face total destitution, we as humans must repackage ourselves and often go against the things we are good at, giving up a large portion of our time on the planet to the whim of someone else, often for a cause that is unnecessary. You might say, "well tough this is the way things are, you're lucky to even have a job". I don't believe we should settle for things when we know we can do better. Society can do better than offer crappy minimum wage toilet scrubbing jobs to people who are capable of much more, but simply unable to find something else. Lucky are those who genuinely enjoy their jobs and find meaning in them.



My ideal summer outfit for work (coconut optional).