Tuesday, 28 May 2013

"so when is she going to nursery?"

I don't even know where to begin my aggression against this question. It's a classic sentence that the child-free will say without even thinking, while those with children are picking it apart and reeling.

My baby is 5 months old. I don't have a job to go back to. Or any money to fall back on. And I actually like spending time with my baby instead of spending money on her.

Why do so many people presume that as soon as a woman has popped it out she's ready for a total stranger to take her baby away for the majority of the day, so she can go to an office just to pay for the nursery fees and keep the economy "growing".

Doing that is a choice, for many it's one they'd rather not make but it's still an overwhelmingly popular option, thanks to so-called female liberation. That doesn't mean we have to choose it. I can't believe I have to defend myself for doing the most natural thing in the world.

So no, she's not going to nursery anytime soon.